RSS

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Is this her first baby?



 On the way to Kailea's first set of x-rays at Children's Hospital, I got to hold her as I was pushed in a wheelchair by someone from "transport", with my mother-in-law pushing Kailea's IV get-up beside us. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. Days had already slipped by with her much too far away from me, so I was going to soak up every bit of her that I could during the short trip.

I heard the staffer ask, "Is this her first baby?" My mother-in-law answered in the affirmative. The staffer responded, "I can tell."

This annoyed me. Almost everything about our stay annoyed me, so no big deal.

But sitting here tonight, holding my baby's hand as I take another turn on my Medela breast pump, it still irks me. How could anyone possibly hold this tiny little body in their arms and look away at anything else? Just looking at her, and everything else in existence just falls away.

No comments:

Post a Comment