RSS

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What Amy Glass Got Wrong: Part 1

Feminists and Mommy Bloggers everywhere should be thanking Amy Glass. She just gave all of us enough fodder to write a million new feminist manifestos. I've never before seen so much short-sighted, narrow-minded self-conceit passed off as feminism packed into a single article. I am practically salivating at all the ways I could correct the errors and misconceptions and ridiculous judgements I've read here, and this is just her article clarifying points of her earlier rant!

Let's start with the biggest, most glaring insult: mothering isn't important. Amy may not have actually said those exact words, but that was most definitely the implication. She tells us that "hard" is value neutral, hoping we won't notice she just asked the world if mothering is worthwhile, if it's "good or bad." She talks about innovation freeing women's time so we can do more "valuable things."

May I ask what it is about Amy's life that she finds so important? I hope she feels that she is contributing to society and bettering humanity, because that's how I define important work. I have no idea what she does in her off time, so I can only assume that she feels that feminist blogging is important to the world. I would agree. But Amy, what kind of blogger would you be if no one had taught you your ABC's? Where would America be if Barack Obama's mother hadn't been there to instill her values of right and wrong in the boy who would be president? Where would technology be if Bill Gates' mother wasn't there to teach him how to use a spoon? Where would the world be if Einstein or Gandhi or Pasteur hadn't had mothers to give birth to them?

What you call extraneous noise, some of us would consider the enormous task of raising the next generation of humanity. That's pretty important, I think even you might agree. If not, I think you might benefit from reading about the lives and works of a broader spectrum of feminists, starting with Margaret Sanger, Maya Angelou, and Audre Lorde. They all found motherhood spectacularly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment