RSS

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Laughing in Disbelief

I've been waiting for just the right event to make my first post under the category of "Laughing in Disbelief". Maybe it should have been about the day of my C-section? But that was just too serious to be snarky. Today is so about the snark.

Yesterday I got a diagnosis for my newest Parenting Battle Scar: De Quervain syndrome, a type of tendonitis. I just woke up with it about 2 weeks ago, and it's gotten worse and worse. So now I have a diagnosis, a proper wrist-brace (my carpal tunnel ones don't do squat to eliminate side-to-side movements), and a course of action.

So why am I laughing? Well, the true title should be "Laughing in Hysterical Disbelief". Imagine my voice getting higher and higher, my grin becoming more and more Joker-esque as I relate this information to you. That's hysterical baby. And any time I am diagnosed with yet another ailment, I get a bit hysterical. Especially when pain is involved. Especially when this could be something I'm going to be dealing with long-term. Because I don't already have enough ailments for the Fates to just leave me alone? Because I don't already have enough places on my body with chronic pain? Because all of my other ailments being long-term or permanent isn't enough?

Yep, I'm hysterical. I realized I'd gone over the edge after reading this at Wikipedia:
One retrospective series documented resolution in 90% of patients within 1 year
The especially fun part about this? The built-in irony of the thing: caused by picking up baby, who will need constant picking up for at least a year, and the best/only way to fix this is by resting the tendon by not doing the things that caused the initial injury. So *if* I stop picking up my baby, I have a 90% chance of being better within a year.

Now I know why the Joker had that plan to infect everyone in Gotham so they would get his smile - he wanted them all to share his pain.

Oh, did I mention that the keiki is now demanding to be held 24/7? As if I wasn't getting nothing done already. It's hard enough to try to make a bottle one-handed, and now that hand erupts in fiery pain with most movements.

For 4-6 weeks. For months. For up to a year. (It depends on what site you read.) Unless I'm in the 10% who don't resolute within a year. What are the chances of that? About the same as being diagnosed with nerve pain in 5 separate, unrelated spots on my body maybe?

Hysterical? Who me? No, never!

No comments:

Post a Comment