RSS

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

48 days to go

With 48 days to go, I swing back into the "I'm not surprised by anything" mind-set.

Day three of my cold, and it's worse. So much worse, that my nose and lips are swollen and chapped from all of the sneezing, blowing, wiping, and open-mouth breathing. I have never understood the cold cycle that includes days of feeling better followed by a worse down-turn. Yesterday I was able to get myself showered and out of the house to run to the pharmacy and grocery store. I wanted to hit one more shop, but told myself why push it? tomorrow I'll be all better! That did not happen. Nope, I woke up swollen and stumbling and incapable of properly reading a calendar of all things. I misread the reminders left in TWO places for an appointment, forced myself to throw on some clothes, and was on my way to the door when Eric pointed out that the message on our answering machine said the appointment was for tomorrow. Instantly, my mind re-deciphered my interpretation of the calendar reminders, confirming he was right without any need to listen to the phone message. That's a new one! Then again, yesterday I swear I got high off of a regular dose of Tylenol, so... like I said, nothing is really surprising me too much right now.

Getting yet another cold during the pregnancy reminded me of the six months I spent working and/or volunteering at a day care center about ten years ago. I was taking classes at the community college in hopes of becoming a preschool teacher. The idea just felt so right at the time. Until I got sick, and then stayed sick the entire rest of my time there. I actually abandoned the whole thing because of my health. I was told that it was common to get sick a lot in the first year, but six months straight of cold after cold was my limit.

So now what am I doing? Having my own child, so I can live with my very own germ-factory 24/7. Yet another sign that I am a crazy person. The show House M.D. could easily devote an entire season to my health history and still not diagnose/cure me 100%, and yet I chose to get pregnant. Pregnancy and motherhood are incredibly taxing on the human body. What was I thinking?!

At least I don't have to go through the trouble of getting a Whooping Cough vaccination. We're having a mini-epidemic in the area, with story after story on the news begging people to get vaccinated. The latest one last week claimed that 90% of adults aren't vaccinated. Considering this is something currently being bundled with Tetanus boosters, I can't quite wrap my head around that. But it did get me on the phone to ask about my last Tetanus shot and get confirmation that not only did I get the proper bundle, but I wouldn't be due for another booster for another year. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment